Skip to main content

Rescued


 


I didn’t tell Erin the truth.

I told her we were going to “look” at a dog to foster. Just a short-term thing. Temporary.

I may have even tossed in the words “small” and “doesn’t shed.”

Lies. All lies.

Her name was Blossom then. A German Shepherd–Collie mix with one ear standing like a soldier and the other slouching halfway down her head, like it had given up on life and applied for early retirement.

But when we met her in the foster family’s backyard, it was clear...this dog wasn’t playful.

She was broken.

She ran because they threw a bone, not because she wanted to. She spun in frantic little circles, almost performing for us, and when she stopped, she started snapping at bees.

It wasn’t silly. It wasn’t cute.

It was desperation.

Like even the air around her was an enemy.

And her eyes…

Her eyes were empty. Like somebody had stolen her soul and walked away with it.

I felt Erin’s eyes on me.

My wife is nobody’s fool. She was already calculating the pounds of fur this enormous animal would shed. Already tallying the hours she’d spend vacuuming. Probably composing the speech she’d deliver at my funeral when the fur finally buried us alive.

Then the foster mom slipped.

“Come here, Rosie!”

Erin froze.

“Rosie? I thought her name was Blossom?”

“She looks more like a Rosie.”

And something shifted in Erin’s face.

Rosie.

The name softened her.

We agreed... well, Erin reluctantly agreed—to “foster” Rosie. Just until someone else could take her. Because if no one did, she’d end up in the shelter.

We brought her home.

Benji, our little rescue, sniffed her and wagged his tail like he’d just found his long-lost sister.

Within days, they were inseparable.

Within a week, Rosie was ours.

Now she sleeps in my daughters’ beds even though she’s not supposed to. She lets them tug her ears, lay on her, cover her with blankets. She follows them everywhere, shedding enough fur to construct several smaller dogs.

Erin vacuums twice a day.

It doesn’t matter.

The fur comes back like the tide.

And when I sit in the middle of it... fur on our socks, kids laughing, Rosie sprawled across the floor like she finally knows she’s safe... I realize maybe this is what love looks like.

Messy.

Uncontainable.

Impossible to lint-roll off black pants.

But Rosie still carries her past.

She has a scar—a swollen bump on her head that never went away. Someone hurt her once. Badly.

She doesn’t bite, but reach too close to her face and sometimes she growls.

Not a mean growl.

A memory growl.

Not the kind that says, I’ll hurt you.

The kind that says,

Don’t hurt me again.

And God, I understand her.

Because don’t we all growl like that sometimes?

Don’t we carry invisible scars from blows no one sees?

Don’t our bodies sometimes remember what our hearts are desperately trying to forget?

Rosie reminds me that scars don’t cancel belonging.

When she leans against my leg, trusting me with the full weight of her body, I think about the people who have leaned against me when everything felt lost.

I think about my daughters still running to the door yelling, Daddy’s home!

And I understand something I didn’t when we went to “look” at a dog.

Rescue is never one-sided.

We saved Rosie.

Rosie saved us right back.

Once, she fought the air around her because she thought everything might hurt her.

Now she sleeps beneath my daughters’ blankets.

Maybe that’s healing.

Not forgetting what happened.

Not pretending the scar isn’t there.

Just slowly discovering that not every hand is coming to hurt you.

Not every room is dangerous.

Not every story ends where the wound began.

Some mornings I look at Rosie... tail thumping, eyes softer now, fur absolutely everywhere...and think maybe we’re more alike than I realized.

Scarred.

Stubborn.

Still learning to trust.

Still being remade by love.

And if we’re lucky,

we get to do it together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...