Hate is Heavy
I’m convinced every single one of us will die with at least one person who absolutely hates us. Not “mildly annoyed.” Not “unsubscribed from our newsletter.” Not even “meh.” I mean hates.
Like- if Netflix made a documentary about your downfall, they’d host a watch party with themed snacks. (Probably chips shaped like your face, dipped in salsa with glee.)
Some people don’t just want to see you stumble. They want to see you stumble, face-plant, roll 300 feet down the hill, and get hit by a bus at the bottom.
And I used to obsess over it. Where does that level of loathing come from? Don’t they get tired? Don’t they need a snack? I can’t even hold a plank for thirty seconds, but some folks hold resentment poses for decades. Incredible core strength.
I’ve had people who strongly disliked me. My daughter Sadie would call it “I’m not a fan of,” but she usually says that about beets, not humans.
I read once that people hate you for three reasons:
-
They see you as a threat.
-
They hate themselves.
-
They want to be you.
And I’ll add a fourth: sometimes people are just…a little bit evil. (We don’t like saying that out loud, but scroll the comment section on any news story and tell me I’m wrong.)
So what do we do with haters?
Here’s what I used to do: fantasize about the perfect comeback. The mic drop. The shower monologue that would devastate my enemy so completely they’d move to another zip code. Spoiler: it never worked.
Now? I try to remember: happy, whole people don’t bully. People full of love don’t have spare room for hatred. Hurt people hurt people. Broken people break people.
Doesn’t mean you excuse them. Doesn’t mean you let them trample your boundaries. You’re allowed to block, delete, walk away. Protecting your peace is holy work.
But I’ve also learned to see them. Not excuse them. Not entertain them. Just recognize that beneath their venom is the same thing beneath my worst moments: pain. Loneliness. Fear.
So here’s my message to my hater: I won’t hate you back. It’s exhausting enough keeping up with middle school math homework. I’ll pray you find peace, because carrying that much poison has to be heavy.
Remember: Jesus had haters. So many haters. Enough to get Him killed. And His message wasn’t “clap back harder.”
It was: Love your enemies. Pray for those who mistreat you.
Which is honestly the rudest, hardest, most infuriating command He could’ve given us. Because when someone hits you, you want to hit back twice as hard. That’s human.
But Jesus says: Don’t play their game. Flip it. Meet hate with love. Cruelty with compassion. Darkness with light.
So when someone hates you, they’re handing you an invitation.
To hate back- or to become the kind of person who refuses to.
To add to the noise- or to become the quiet.
To let hate multiply- or to stop it cold.
When you choose not to hate back, you don’t just free them.
You free yourself.
Because hate is heavy. It corrodes the vessel that carries it. And life is already too fragile, too beautiful, too short to carry around someone else’s poison.
So the next time your hater surfaces? Shake your head. Whisper a prayer. Walk on lighter. Because their hate says everything about their pain, and nothing about your worth.
And maybe the greatest rebellion in a world addicted to outrage is to look hate dead in the eye and say:
You don’t get to live here. Love already moved in.
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink… Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
– Romans 12:20–21
Comments