Skip to main content

The Hamptons and Mr. P.

 The Hamptons and Mr. P.


A temporary job caring for Mr. P., an elderly former CEO of a Fortune 500 company, landed in my lap. A man who once moved through the world with power in his voice, command in his presence, and a dynamic leadership that reminded you of the old E.F. Hutton commercial: “When Mr. P. spoke…people listened.”


Mr. P. was impossibly rich- not the cartoonish kind, but the kind where every room quietly bowed. Homes in the Hamptons, NYC, D.C. The CEO of global companies, master of politics, opera, the outdoors, and really intimidating golf swings. The smartest man in the room. Always. And yet, also the gentlest, most humble man you could meet. And probably the only person who could make a boardroom of sharks feel like Sunday church.


And now, he shuffled from room to room with a walker. Aphasia had stolen most of his words. Sometimes he’d catch one and hold it like a treasure; other times, he’d search and sigh when it wouldn’t come.


The first morning I met him, he tried to ask me for a glass of water. It took three tries to find the word “glass.” It broke me open. Also broke my pride trying to hand him a glass without spilling it.


His home was beautiful, like something from a magazine, but heavy, like the walls remembered the man he used to be. I’d take the train out early, then walk through quiet winter streets. No one knew me out there. No stares, no judgment. Just cold air and my own breath.


Every morning, I stepped into his world, stripped of all the noise, where nothing was urgent except helping him sit, eat, remember.


Mrs. P. was something else. Sharp. Elegant. Fierce in love. She had been beside him in the boardroom and now beside him in the bathroom, buttoning his shirt. She never flinched. Never rushed him. She matched her pace to his because love, when it’s real, moves at the speed of the beloved.


I watched her lift his spoon when his hand shook too much.

I watched her lean in so he could rest his head when the words wouldn’t come.

I watched her honor the slowness.

Meanwhile, I realized I hadn’t honored my own slowness since I was ten.


I realized- I had been sprinting past my own life for years. Missing slow breakfasts with my daughters. Missing the way Erin’s face softens in the morning light. Missing my own soul.

Also missing socks. Always missing socks.


One night, on the train home, it hit me so hard I said it out loud:

“I want to be the kind of man someone stays for.”


Not the impressive kind I had been trying to play. Not the kind measured by titles, houses, or headlines. The present kind. The kind you can sit with in the dark without performing your way back into the light.


It was during those weeks with Mr. P. that I realized something else. I was chosen. Chosen because I could speak his language-leadership, politics, opera, the outdoors. Someone who understood the rise, the fall, the quiet spaces in between.


After a few weeks, his decline sped up. The gentle giant I admired became fragile before my eyes. And through it all, I learned a truth that will stay with me forever:

They didn’t care about my past. They cared that I cared. That I stayed. That I showed up, fully. Not with perfection. Not with titles. Just me.

Apparently, caring is more impressive than a clean record. Who knew?


And maybe that’s the lesson for all of us: you don’t have to be flawless. You don’t have to be the smartest, the strongest, or the richest. You just have to care enough to show up.


That job lasted a few weeks. But it ended my addiction to motion. Because I saw it, right in front of me:

Love that heals doesn’t happen in the hustle.

It happens in the when you least expect it

And occasionally in really nice slippers.


At the end of the day, the world doesn’t measure us by our offices, bank accounts, or titles. It measures us by the hearts we touch when no one is looking- and the patience we give when words fail.


And yes, occasionally by whether you can hand someone a glass of water without spilling it.


“Carry each other’s burdens, 

and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” 


      -Galatians 6:2


Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for this. I am having a horrible day. I don’t know where to turn and I feel like I am crumbling. I knew you long ago in another lifetime Mike and you were a kind leader to my children. Stay strong.
Anonymous said…
Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you realize what really is important in life - we have all been there. Hopefully we have a little line. Many important good lessons along the way
Anonymous said…
I hope you are having a better day. Thank you for sharing and appreciate your kind words.
Anonymous said…
100% I appreciate you commenting.

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...