If you told me two years ago I’d own
four sets of rosary beads and sneak them under my kids’ pillows like some kind
of Catholic Tooth Fairy, I’d have laughed you right out of my
kitchen. Rosary beads, to me, were childhood
relics—like VHS tapes or the belief that I’d someday have abs.
Then one day, I found my old First
Communion beads in a dusty little pouch that smelled like church pews and my
grandmother’s purse. I picked them up… and felt this tiny tug inside my chest.
Not dramatic. Not holy lightning. More like, “Hey Mike, I’m here.”
So I started praying the rosary.
Just to see.
Just to breathe.
And surprisingly?
I liked it.
Not because I understand all the mysteries
(I absolutely do not). Not because I suddenly became holy (also no).
But because the beads slow
me down. They’re like a weighted blanket for my soul. A rhythm for
my runaway brain. A rope I grab when life gets loud.
Now I pray every day.
Not out of obligation... out of sanity.
I even bought sets for Erin and the
kids and slide them under their pillows at night.
Is this weird? Probably. Does it
comfort me anyway? Absolutely.
Regardless your faith, I’m
finding faith doesn’t usually return with blaring trumpets or revelations. It
sneaks back in through the small things— a bead, a breath, a moment you
actually notice.
I used to think prayer was about
convincing God to show up. Now I know it’s what happens when I finally
do.
And the rosary?
It’s not a ritual for perfect people.
It’s just the rope that keeps me steady
in a world that keeps spinning.
And don’t we all need
something to hold on to?
Comments