Skip to main content

We are ALL Running





Maybe this is where it begins.

With the quiet realization that most of us are running.

Not visibly.

Internally.

Constantly.

Running away from something.
Running toward something.

Sometimes doing both at the exact same time, which might explain why we’re all exhausted and paying people to teach us how to breathe.

We run from conversations we don’t want to have.

Decisions we wish we could undo.

People we’ve hurt.

Versions of ourselves we hope nobody remembers.

And simultaneously, we run toward peace.

Meaning.

God.

The life we keep promising ourselves we’ll start living once everything finally calms down.

Which is adorable.

Apparently we believe life will eventually send an email:

Good news. Nothing difficult is scheduled for the foreseeable future. Please begin enjoying yourself.

Maybe that’s why we’re so tired.

We’re trying to move in two directions at once.

There’s a particular kind of loud that happens when life starts falling apart.

Not busy loud.

Not calendar loud.

Soul loud.

The kind where everything you’ve avoided for years suddenly shows up at once, like your problems coordinated in a group chat you weren’t invited to.

That’s where I’ve been.

Reflecting more than I ever have.

Not because I became enlightened or started drinking green juice while journaling at sunrise like a reformed monk with WiFi.

Because life left me fewer places to hide.

The consequences.

The unknowns.

The moments capable of changing the direction of a life.

Eventually, you get too tired to run.

So you sit down.

And unfortunately…

there you are.

For much of my adult life, I was very good at running.

From emotions.

Hard conversations.

Decisions requiring me to remain uncomfortable longer than approximately eleven minutes.

And because I was accomplishing things while doing it, I mistook movement for growth.

I became very good at appearing to move forward while actually moving faster in circles.

Then life rearranged everything without asking permission.

And I did what any emotionally healthy person would do.

I replayed my entire existence.

Every decision.

Every mistake.

Every moment when I should have said something.

Every moment when I absolutely should have shut up.

I studied my past like game film.

Okay, freeze it there.

Yep.

Terrible decision.

Eventually, all that reflection led me to the deeply sophisticated psychological conclusion:

Maybe I’m just a bad person.

Nothing says healing like holding a trial inside your head at three in the morning where you’re the defendant, prosecutor, judge, jury, and somehow also the courtroom sketch artist.

After about a year and a half of this—which I cannot recommend recreationally—I arrived at something almost offensive in its simplicity.

This is life.

You make beautiful decisions.

You make terrible ones.

You help people.

You hurt people.

Sometimes knowingly.

Sometimes carelessly.

Sometimes while convincing yourself you had an excellent reason.

We are remarkably talented attorneys when defending our own behavior.

Eventually, though, the explanations run out.

You’re left with yourself.

No résumé.

No title.

No carefully edited biography.

Just you.

And then come the harder questions.

Do I apologize?

Do I make amends?

What if it changes nothing?

What if someone has finally built a fragile peace without me and I show up like an emotional tornado wearing a name tag that says GROWTH?

There isn’t always a clean answer.

Changing doesn’t erase consequences.

An apology doesn’t guarantee forgiveness.

Growth doesn’t earn you admission back into every room you once occupied.

Sometimes becoming better means respecting a door that remains closed.

And living differently anyway.

For years, I thought shame was accountability.

If I punished myself enough, replayed everything enough, hated certain versions of myself enough, maybe that counted as becoming better.

It didn’t.

It just made me tired.

Shame has one sentence:

You are what you did.

Grace says something harder:

Then become something different.

That requires humility.

And the deeply inconvenient realization that God apparently has very little interest in the impressive version of me I spent decades constructing.

I would have preferred He review the résumé.

There were bullet points.

God kept asking about the man holding it.

Because you cannot outrun your own soul no matter how impressive your résumé looks.

Believe me.

I tried.

But something has shifted.

I’m not interested in running away anymore.

I want to move toward something.

Toward humility.

Truth.

My family.

Service without applause.

Faith.

God.

Toward a life that may look smaller from the outside but feels enormous from within.

I care less about appearing important.

More about being present.

Less about being right.

More about being honest.

Less about controlling what happens next.

Although I remain available if God would like my suggestions.

He has not requested them.

And I’m learning something about grace.

Grace doesn’t wait at the finish line holding balloons.

Grace meets you in the wreckage.

Ashamed.

Exhausted.

Still wondering whether you ruined too much.

And says:

Stand up anyway.

Not because nothing happened.

Not because consequences disappear.

But because your worst chapter does not get to write every chapter that follows.

I lived in shame for a long time.

Some days, I still visit.

Apparently I kept a key.

But I don’t want to live there anymore.

I’m still afraid.

Still uncertain.

Still carrying consequences I wish I could change.

But I’m not running away anymore.

I’m moving toward the honest life.

The quieter one.

The one without so much proving.

The one where I can finally look backward without needing to go back.

Because it turns out I was never just running from my past.

I was running from my future.

I kept trying to outrun who I had been.

God kept waiting
for who I was becoming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...