There are mornings now when I wake up already grieving.
Not dramatic grief.
No rain against the window.
Just the quiet realization that certain versions of my life are no longer available for download.
I brush my teeth.
I remember.
I make coffee.
I remember.
Grief is incredibly punctual.
Then guilt logs in.
Guilt does not knock.
Guilt has admin access.
It replays conversations in high definition.
It rewrites endings.
It builds entire alternate futures where I chose differently and everyone stayed.
Guilt is very committed to personal growth.
It just has terrible bedside manner.
Hope shows up next, which feels almost inappropriate.
Hope has no data.
No proof.
Just a stubborn little voice that says,
“What if you are not finished yet?”
I don’t trust it.
But I let it stay.
Fear arrives with a full presentation.
Fear has spreadsheets.
Fear has timelines.
Fear would like immediate acknowledgment.
By mid-morning I am exhausted.
Not because I have done anything extraordinary,
but because carrying invisible weight while still trying to function
is a kind of endurance no one trains for.
Somewhere in all this, something is changing.
Not the kind you announce.
The kind that happens quietly
when life loosens your grip
and you realize how tightly you were holding on.
Faith comes in quietly now.
In ordinary light.
In small mercies.
In the strange strength that says, “Get up again.”
It no longer promises outcomes.
It simply refuses to leave.
Doubt sits beside it like a weary friend.
Not trying to destroy belief.
Just asking if it can survive honesty.
By evening I sometimes realize
I have lived seven emotional lives in one day.
I have grieved.
Felt guilty.
Panicked.
Noticed something shifting.
Held on to faith.
Argued with doubt.
And smiled at people
who have no idea how loud it is inside my chest.
There was a time I thought healing would feel like certainty.
Now it feels more like becoming wide enough
to carry what I broke,
what I lost,
what I fear,
and what I still hope for...
and still choosing to wake up tomorrow
not because I have answers,
but because something in me
is learning how to live again.
Not perfectly.
Not all at once.
But honestly.
And for the first time in a long time…
that feels like enough.
Comments