Skip to main content

The Man in the White Jeep



Many of my readers know I walk my dogs early.
Every morning. Rain or shine. Hot or cold.

We launch at 5:15 a.m. like a tiny, furry expedition team with no clear destination but very strong opinions about squirrels.

By 7-Eleven they greet the regulars like minor celebrities. One gets ear scratches. One attempts to unionize for more Slim-Jims. I get bad coffee and quiet companionship. It is, somehow, sacred.

Some mornings we head into the woods.
Other mornings we circle the neighborhood and end up at the field so they can run like Olympic athletes who forgot what sport they signed up for.

And more often than not… at exactly 6:00 a.m.

We see him.

The white Jeep Cherokee.

He comes down the street like he is late for the invention of time.

Stop signs are treated less as laws and more as helpful suggestions from people who clearly don’t understand his schedule. He blasts past in a blur of panic and horsepower, engine screaming like it also has performance reviews.

The first time, I was furious.

We were on the same side of the street. My dogs froze. I froze. The Jeep whooshed by like a weather system. For a moment all that remained was wind, exhaust, and the unmistakable feeling of someone trying to outrun their own morning.

The second time, I was annoyed.
The third time… I recognized the pattern.

And if you know me, you know I love a pattern. I can find meaning in coffee stains.

Now, after seeing him a few times a week for over a year, I don’t feel angry.

I feel sad.

Because I know that man.

I was that man.

There was a time when leaving the house two minutes late felt like triggering a national emergency.

If I didn’t hit the first light by 6:07, the next landmark by 6:19, the bridge by 6:31 - clearly the entire day would collapse and I would arrive at work sometime next fiscal quarter.

Commutes become strange math problems.
If this store by this time.
If that exit by that time.
If I just push harder.

Meanwhile you’re fighting traffic.
Fighting bad news on the radio.
Fighting thoughts you don’t want to have.
Fighting the quiet voice asking, What exactly are we running toward?

Or worse.

What are we running from?

This morning I saw my friend in the white Jeep at 6:05.

Which means in his mind he was already catastrophically late.
Five minutes behind schedule.
Five minutes behind life.

He flew toward the stop sign like time itself was chasing him with a clipboard.

And I tried to wave.

Not to correct him.
Not to judge him.

More like…

I see you.
I know the tight chest and the mental stopwatch.
I know the belief that one small delay will unravel everything you worked so hard to hold together.

You might say:
Why doesn’t he just leave five minutes earlier?

Friend.

If it were that simple, the world would be full of calm people with matching socks and no unresolved emails.

We don’t just run late on the clock.

We run late on ourselves.

Late to our own lives.
Late to noticing the dogs who think a patch of grass is the greatest miracle ever performed.

I don’t live like that anymore. Not because I had a spiritual breakthrough while organizing my calendar. Life… helped me step off the hamster wheel.

And now I stand in the half-light holding leashes and lukewarm coffee, watching people speed past the very lives they are trying so hard to build.

There has to be a better way.

I don’t know what it is exactly.

I just know this:

If we don’t slow down on the road…
At home…
Inside our own minds…

Eventually something will slow us down.

The law of averages always collects.

And one day you wake up,  not five minutes late for work -

But years late for the only life that was ever actually yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...