There’s a very specific kind of day that doesn’t get enough attention.
Not the catastrophic ones.
Not the rock-bottom, rain-on-the-windshield, Adele-playing-somewhere days.
The quieter ones.
The days when you’ve tried everything… and nothing is working.
You prayed.
You journaled.
You deep-breathed like a person who owns essential oils.
You even said, “I surrender,” which felt spiritually mature for about eleven minutes.
And still…
Nothing.
The problem is still there.
The door is still closed.
The answer is still “we’ll see.”
Which is just “no” wearing khakis.
And eventually you start thinking:
What else would You like from me here, God? A PowerPoint? An interpretive dance?
Because at this point, Lord, I have slides.
It’s a particular kind of exhaustion.
Not tired.
I-have-done-all-the-things-and-the-things-are-not-thinging tired.
And here’s what nobody puts on a throw pillow:
Sometimes hope is exhausting.
I’d love to be hopeful. Truly.
But hope apparently requires emotional bandwidth, and I am currently operating on fumes, leftover coffee, and one functioning nerve.
So you sit there.
Not defeated exactly.
Just… out of moves.
And maybe that’s the moment.
Not the breakthrough.
Not the testimony you’ll tell later when everything makes sense and someone adds piano music underneath it.
Just the tiny, stubborn decision:
Alright… fine. We’re doing this again today.
You get up.
Make the coffee.
Say the prayer you’re not entirely sure made it past the ceiling fan.
One foot.
Then the other.
No soundtrack.
No inspirational quote.
No eagle flying over a mountain.
Just you.
Still here.
And maybe that’s what faith looks like more often than we admit.
Not certainty.
Not victory.
Not God dramatically opening a door while Morgan Freeman narrates.
Sometimes faith is simply refusing to leave your own life because today didn’t give you what you wanted.
Maybe the life you’re waiting for isn’t being built when everything works.
Maybe it’s being built right here...
when nothing does,
and somehow,
you stay.
Comments