Skip to main content

THE CHILD THAT NEVER LEFT




Childhood is a funny thing.

It's one of the few experiences every human being shares.

We all had one.

Just like we all went to school.

We all ate cafeteria pizza that somehow tasted significantly better on Fridays.

And at some point, every one of us looked at an adult and thought:

"I can't wait to be grown up."

Which, in hindsight, feels a little like standing at the bottom of a mountain and yelling…

"I can't wait to pay taxes and compare insurance rates!"

When exactly do we become adults anyway?

Sixteen?

Eighteen?

Twenty-one?

The first car?

The first job?

The first gray hair that appears without your consent?

Nobody seems to know.

One day you're riding your bike.

The next you're excited because a package of air fryer accessories arrived.

Apparently that's adulthood.

My youngest daughter Abbey is almost eleven.

And she is in a tremendous hurry to become older.

She loves makeup.

Not casually.

Professionally.

The child owns enough makeup to open a small retail location.

She has brushes, palettes, lip glosses, and a vanity mirror with lights around it that looks more advanced than mission control at NASA.

Sometimes I'll walk past her room and find her sitting there applying makeup with the concentration of someone performing open-heart surgery.

Then she'll look up and ask:

"Do I look older?"

And every time I think the same thing…

No, sweetheart.

You look exactly eleven.

Which is perfect.

But I remember.

I remember being ten and wanting to be sixteen.

Being sixteen and wanting to be twenty-one.

Being twenty-one and believing thirty sounded ancient.

Which is adorable now that I make involuntary noises every time I stand up.

The truth is, children spend an incredible amount of time trying to become adults.

And adults spend an incredible amount of time trying to become younger.

Lately I've started to think we spend half our lives becoming adults.

And the other half discovering the child never actually left.

I used to think childhood was something you outgrew.

Like baby teeth.

Training wheels.

The inability to eat spicy food.

Turns out childhood is more like glitter.

You can move three times, change careers, raise children, survive heartbreak, and pay a mortgage.

And somehow...there it is.

Still attached to you.

Showing up in the criticism that hurts more than it should.

The approval you still seek.

The fears you can't quite explain.

The dreams you never completely gave up on.

The other day I found myself overwhelmed about life.

Too many responsibilities arriving at the same time.

And suddenly I felt him.

Little Mike.

The kid who wanted to get everything right.

The kid who worried more than he needed to.

The kid who thought mistakes were bigger than they really were.

For a moment it felt like he'd been asleep somewhere inside me for years.

Then he sat up.

Rubbed his eyes.

Looked around.

And quietly reintroduced himself.

"Hey," he seemed to say.

"Remember me?"

I did.

And I realized something.

The child never left.

He just got buried beneath meetings and responsibilities and grocery lists.

Still carrying old joys.

Old fears.

Old hopes.

Waiting patiently for us to notice.

Most of us spend years trying to outgrow that child.

Maybe the real work is something else.

Maybe it's finally learning to be kind to him.

Because after all these years...

the greatest gift of adulthood may be this…

We finally become the person that child needed all along.

.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."


Psalm 139:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...