Skip to main content

Soul Dog



Someone once told me there’s a thing called a Soul Dog. Not just a dog you love. Not a “who rescued who?” bumper sticker situation.

A Soul Dog is apparently a once-in-a-lifetime kind of companion. The kind that somehow crawls past your front door, past your routines, past your defenses…and quietly sets up permanent residence inside your nervous system.

Like God looked at your exhausted heart and thought...“You know what this man needs? A slightly unhinged emotional support wolf with abandonment issues and enough fur to insulate a ski lodge.”

That’s Rosie. I’ve written about her before.

She’s our rescue dog. Part German Shepherd. Part Collie. Part haunted Victorian carpet.

We brought her home three years ago from a shelter after she’d been abused by someone who deserves permanently wet socks and the sinking feeling that he’ll never quite be warm again.

At first, Rosie barely trusted air. If I moved too quickly, she’d flinch. If someone raised their voice, she disappeared into corners like her whole body had memorized fear before it ever memorized safety.

It took almost a full year before she finally exhaled.

And now? Now she follows me everywhere like a deeply concerned therapist who also eats mulch. I’m serious. This dog has surgically attached herself to my hip.

I can’t even go to the bathroom without hearing slow footsteps behind me like... “Michael…emotionally you do not seem stable enough to be alone right now.”

And the shedding.

Dear God, the shedding. Rosie sheds with the commitment level of someone trying to leave a crime scene entirely made of fur. I vacuum three times a day and our house still looks like the OK Corral hosted a tumbleweed convention.

As I’m writing this, there is literally fur stuck to my keyboard. Somewhere inside this laptop there’s probably enough hair to build a second, smaller Rosie.

But here’s the strange thing.

Several times a day, I catch her just staring at me. Not normal dog staring either. Not “Do you have my favorite snacks you sneak me without Erin looking?” staring. Not “I heard the cheese drawer open from two zip codes away” staring.

I mean deep staring. Like she’s reading subtitles under my skin. Like she knows.

And somehow…she always does. When I’m anxious, she gets anxious. When sadness quietly slips into the room and sits beside me, Rosie feels it before I even admit it’s there. She’ll rest her head near me without asking for anything. No fixing or pep talk. Just presence.

Which honestly makes her more emotionally available than most adults raised in the 1980s. Sometimes if I need space, she gives it to me before I even know I need it myself.

She’ll sit across the room watching me with those old-soul eyes like...“I know. I know. Take your time.”

And I swear sometimes it feels almost supernatural. Like this dog somehow crawled through the wreckage of both our lives and recognized something familiar in me.

My other dog Benji, meanwhile, is basically Donkey from Shrek. No thoughts. Just vibes. Benji operates every day like he accidentally drank six espressos and joined a improv comedy troupe. He wanders around asking invisible questions no one can answer. At any given moment he’s either hungry, confused, pretending to be a cat, or emotionally invested in a leaf blowing across the yard.

But Rosie? Rosie feels ancient. Like she’s lived twelve lives already. Like she’s seen things. And honestly…I know she sees me too.

Not the version of me I present to the world.

Not the “I’m fine” version. She sees the tired and grieving one. The  scared and healing one. The one still learning how to carry pain and other emotions without letting it poison everything beautiful around him.

And lately, I’ve realized something else. I think I shed like Rosie too. Not fur. Just old versions of myself.

Old shame, fear,  masks. Old survival instincts I don’t need anymore.

And the shedding has been…a lot. If emotional healing worked like dog grooming, my front lawn would currently look like an entire mattress factory exploded. Because apparently when God starts healing you, He doesn’t gently remove one tiny broken piece at a time. Sometimes He lovingly drags your whole nervous system into the backyard and says... “We’re getting all of this junk out today, Michael.”

And Rosie somehow knows when it’s happening. Maybe that’s what soul dogs do. They hold watch over the parts of us still learning how to come home to ourselves.

Maybe God sends certain creatures into our lives because human language isn’t always enough.

Sometimes healing needs fur and grace shows up panting. Maybe love sits beside you quietly while you fall apart and never once asks you to explain why.

I don’t know how many people get a soul dog. Maybe once in a lifetime. Maybe never.

But I know this...there are days Rosie looks at me with such concern and tenderness that it breaks my heart a little…because I realize she’s carrying emotions I haven’t fully dealt with yet myself.

And lately I’ve caught myself hoping she starts looking happier soon. Because if she does…

It probably means I finally am too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...