I used to rank the seasons like a man who believed he was in
charge of things.
Fall
was number one. Obviously.
Because
fall understands drama.
Fall arrives like it has a soundtrack. Crisp air.
Leaves
turning colors that feel almost inappropriate for nature…like trees are showing
off before they leave the party. There’s something deeply comforting about
watching the world wind down with dignity.
And,
of course, fall also brings the annual tradition of watching the New York
Jets gently and consistently ruin my emotional stability in new and
creative ways.
It’s
ritual. It’s community. It’s character development.
Spring,
on the other hand, used to feel… suspicious.
Too
optimistic.
Too eager.
Like a motivational speaker that hadn’t lived enough life yet.
Winter
was at least honest. Winter doesn’t pretend. Winter says, “Everything is dead.
Let’s sit with that.” I respected that.
But
spring?
Spring
felt like it was trying to sell me something.
And
then… I had a winter.
Not
the kind you measure in inches of snow.
The kind you measure in silence.
The
kind where things don’t just slow down… they stop.
Where
the version of you that you built—carefully, publicly, convincingly—doesn’t survive
the season.
Where
you sit in the quiet long enough to realize that you don’t actually know who
you are without all the noise.
It
turns out winter isn’t the opposite of life.
It’s
the place where life gets rebuilt… underground… without applause.
And
now?
Now
I understand spring in a way I never did before. Now I notice the purple
crocuses pushing through the ground like they’ve decided fear is no longer a
personality trait.
I
see the trees- bare just weeks ago…quietly trying again. No announcement. No press
release. Just… buds.
The
birds come back like nothing ever happened. Singing at 6 a.m. with the
confidence of creatures who have never once checked their email for validation.
Even
my chickens…who, for the record, are deeply committed to the agricultural
sciences- start laying more eggs like, “Yeah… we needed sunlight. That’s on
you.”
Turns
out… not an urban legend.
Just
biology. And maybe a little grace.
The
days stretch out again. Light lingers a little longer, like it’s not in such a
rush to leave anymore.
And
somewhere in all of that, I realized something I missed my whole life:
Spring
isn’t naïve. Spring is brave.
Because
spring shows up after everything has died…
and chooses to begin again anyway.
This
is the first year spring feels like it belongs to me.
Not
because my life is perfect.
Not because everything is fixed.
But
because something in me… is different.
I’m
rebuilding.
As a man.
As a father.
As someone learning....slowly, imperfectly—what it means to live with faith
instead of control.
I
care less about appearances.
More about presence.
Less
about outcomes.
More about alignment.
Less
about who I was supposed to be.
More about who I’m becoming.
And
here’s the part I wish someone had told me earlier…
You
don’t need a catastrophic moment to begin again. You don’t need to lose
everything to choose something better.
Yes…
sometimes winter finds you whether you’re ready or not.
But
spring?
Spring
is a decision.
A
quiet one.
A
small one.
The
kind that looks like getting up… trying again… choosing differently… even when
no one is watching.
So
if you’re standing in your own version of winter right now…
Or
maybe just at the edge of it…
Wondering
if anything new is still possible—
It
is.
Not
because the conditions are perfect.
But
because that’s what spring does.
It
doesn’t wait for permission.
It
just begins.
Comments