There’s a condition farmers don’t warn you about before you buy chickens.
It’s called Chicken Math.
Chicken Math is a psychological disorder where a person buys four chickens and somehow wakes up three months later explaining to their spouse why there are seventeen birds named after breakfast foods living in a handcrafted suburban fortress.
It starts innocently.
“You know… fresh eggs.”
That’s how they get you.
Next thing you know, you’re standing in Tractor Supply on a Saturday whispering things like:
“Well technically this one is a lavender Orpington and we don’t have one of those yet.”
As if you’re curating an art collection instead of building a tiny feathery mafia in your backyard.
I used to have a lot more chickens.
Now I’m more realistic.
Mostly because I eventually accepted an important truth:
I do not own a farm.
I own a very small piece of property in New York and a level of optimism that borders on clinical.
Still, we keep a handful of chickens and two rescue dogs… both of whom I’ve probably written about more than my actual children at this point.
One of those dogs is Benji.
And yes… he looks exactly like Benji from the movies.
Tiny.
Scruffy.
Old soul eyes.
The kind of dog that looks like he should solve mysteries near a lighthouse.
But underneath that adorable face lives the criminal mind of a prison escape artist.
For reasons known only to him and whatever committee governs chaos, Benji has become obsessed with getting into the chicken coop.
Not attacking the chickens.
Joining them.
Like he believes he was separated at birth and deserves answers.
The problem is… Benji is roughly the size of an overcooked rotisserie chicken himself, yet somehow keeps finding ways through the fence.
Every time I patch one hole, he discovers another.
At this point I’m not fixing a coop.
I’m competing intellectually with a thirteen-pound woodland creature and losing badly.
And the chickens LOVE it.
Because every hole Benji creates becomes a jailbreak.
Every morning I wake up to chickens free-ranging across the yard like tiny feathered tourists on spring break.
Scratching flower beds.
Eating fresh plants.
Marching around with the confidence of people who have never paid a mortgage.
One of them stood on my patio table last week like she was giving a TED Talk on poor fencing decisions.
And honestly?
She earned it.
Then one afternoon I was outside repairing yet another Benji breach.
Wire cutters.
Staple gun.
Muttering words Jesus wouldn’t use.
And suddenly the chickens started screaming.
Now if you own chickens, you know they make dramatic noises constantly.
Lay an egg? Scream.
See a leaf? Scream.
Exist near another chicken? Scream.
They are basically tiny feathery soap opera actors.
But this sound was different.
I looked up just in time to see a hawk dive out of nowhere.
No warning.
No hesitation.
One second sky.
Next second violence.
It swooped down and grabbed one of my smallest hens like a ninja with wings and disappeared over the trees.
And I can still hear the sound that chicken made.
Fading into the distance.
Like a tiny feathery ambulance siren.
I froze.
Then immediately my mind did what human minds do best.
It searched for someone else to blame.
Benji.
This happened because of Benji.
Because of the holes.
Because of the escapes.
Because of the chaos.
But standing there holding chicken wire in my hand…
I knew that wasn’t true.
Benji was just being Benji.
Curious.
Restless.
Unaware of consequences bigger than himself.
The truth was harder.
I didn’t protect my flock.
And somewhere in that moment, standing in a backyard scattered with feathers and guilt, I realized how often adulthood is exactly this.
We blame the obvious thing.
The distraction.
The addiction.
The other person.
The stress.
The economy.
The dog-shaped hole in the fence.
Anything except the painful possibility that maybe… we stopped paying attention to what was ours to protect.
Marriages don’t usually collapse overnight.
Kids don’t drift all at once.
Friendships don’t disappear in a day.
Most things are lost slowly…
through small openings we kept meaning to fix later.
Tiny breaches.
Tiny compromises.
Tiny neglected responsibilities.
And predators don’t always arrive looking evil.
Sometimes they arrive looking convenient.
Comforting.
Exciting.
Temporary.
That’s the part nobody tells you.
The hawk is rarely the first problem.
The hole usually is.
And responsibility — real responsibility — isn’t about perfection.
It’s about ownership.
It’s the moment you stop asking,
“Whose fault is this?”
…and finally ask,
“What was mine to protect?”
Because love isn’t just care.
Love is maintenance.
Love is attention.
Love is repairing the fence before something precious disappears through the opening.
And sometimes the hardest part of growing up…
is realizing the flock was always yours.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments