I don’t know much about the wind.
I’m sure there’s a scientific explanation.
Pressure systems.
Temperature changes.
Atmospheric conditions.
A meteorologist somewhere is probably reading this and shaking their head.
But none of that is what I think about when the wind shows up.
I think about the mystery of it.
One minute the world is standing perfectly still.
The next minute, every tree in the neighborhood is bowing like it just heard important news.
The leaves start talking.
The grass starts leaning.
The bushes begin dancing.
A plastic grocery bag suddenly develops impossible confidence and attempts to migrate to another state.
Everything reacts.
Everything.
The birds adjust.
The squirrels pause.
The waves rise.
The flags snap.
The garbage cans roll halfway down the street looking like they have somewhere urgent to be.
And yet you can’t actually see the thing causing any of it.
You only see what it touches.
I love that.
Especially the sound.
Not the dramatic hurricane kind.
Just the ordinary sound of wind moving through leaves.
That soft rushing noise.
Like the trees are whispering to each other.
Like they’re discussing something they don’t want the rest of us to hear.
Sometimes the wind comes for a few minutes and leaves.
Sometimes it stays all day.
Some days there’s none at all.
Other days it seems determined to remind every living thing on earth that it’s in charge.
It stops.
Then starts again.
As if it forgot something.
As if it had to go back.
As if there was one more tree it wanted to visit.
When I was younger, I mostly found it annoying.
The wind ruined my hair.
Not that there was much to ruin, but I remained strangely committed to protecting what was left.
It blew my garbage all over the yard.
It turned every barbecue into a tactical operation.
Paper plates became airborne.
Napkins disappeared forever.
Hot dogs required adult supervision.
And when I played tennis?
Forget it.
The wind was a pain in the neck.
Actually, that’s not what I called it.
But this is a family-friendly story.
You’d hit what felt like the perfect shot only to watch the wind grab it in midair and deposit it somewhere near Connecticut.
I spent years fighting the wind.
Now I mostly watch it.
I’ve become one of those people who stands outside staring at trees.
Which is either wisdom or the early stages of becoming a neighborhood concern.
The older I get, the more fascinated I am by things I can’t see.
Love.
Grace.
Hope.
Faith.
The wind belongs on that list.
Invisible.
Yet powerful enough to move entire forests.
You never actually see it.
You only see its effect.
A branch bends.
A wave rises.
A leaf lets go.
A flag snaps.
And maybe that’s true of the most important things in life.
You never really see love.
You see the meal someone makes when they’re exhausted.
The hand they reach for.
The sacrifice nobody notices.
You never really see grace.
You see forgiveness where resentment used to live.
You see someone get a second chance.
You see a life begin again.
You never really see faith.
You see people keep going when every reason says stop.
You see hope show up after heartbreak.
You see light in places that should still be dark.
Maybe that’s why I stop and watch the trees now.
Not because I’m interested in the wind.
Because I’m interested in what invisible things can do.
Because someday I’ll be gone.
And if I’m lucky, the things that mattered most about my life won’t be the things people could see.
Not the titles.
Not the accomplishments.
Not the things I owned.
If I’m lucky, it will be the invisible things.
The kindness.
The faith.
The love.
The encouragement.
The grace.
The things that moved through me and into someone else.
The things that changed a life without making a sound.
Just like the wind.
Never seen.
But impossible to miss.
Comments