Skip to main content

BEFORE THE LIGHT TURNS GREEN





The other day we pulled up to a red light. A Ram truck rolled in beside me.
And before either of us had moved an inch… my brain had already introduced itself. “Oh… you’re one of those guys.”
Amazing, isn’t it? The light was still red. We hadn’t exchanged a single word.
He hadn’t cut us off. Hadn’t honked or done anything remotely annoying.
He was simply existing. And somehow I’d already decided who he was.
Apparently my imagination has a Ph.D. in jumping to conclusions.
Somewhere along the way I’d created an entire profile for a complete stranger.
Probably drives six inches off the bumper in front of him. Thinks every yellow light is merely a suggestion. Has opinions on absolutely everything… whether anyone asked or not. And if he happened to be wearing wraparound sunglasses?
Well…
The case practically prosecuted itself.
Poor guy. He didn’t even know he was on trial.
The embarrassing part? He hadn’t done a single thing. He was just driving.
Meanwhile, I’d already written his autobiography.
I’ve spent the last few years trying to become less judgmental. Not because I’ve perfected it.
Because I’ve finally realized how exhausting it is carrying around a courtroom in my head.
Every stranger becomes a defendant. Every first impression becomes evidence and every assumption becomes a verdict.
Some days I think I’m making real progress.
Then a Ram truck pulls up beside me… and apparently the judge inside me comes out of retirement.
The funny thing is…
We all have our own version of the Ram truck.
Maybe yours isn’t a truck at all.
Maybe it’s the person driving the Tesla.
Or the beat-up car with three different-colored doors.
Maybe it’s the man covered in tattoos.
Or the woman wearing pajamas at the grocery store at three in the afternoon.
Maybe it’s the neighborhood.
You drive through one where every lawn looks like it was trimmed with tweezers and suddenly everyone is successful.
Happy. Financially secure.
Perfect marriage and kids.
As if anxiety checks Zillow before deciding where to live.
Then you drive through another neighborhood that’s struggling… and your mind quietly writes a completely different story.
Different scenery. Different assumptions. Same bad habit.
Here’s what keeps humbling me.
The people I’ve been most wrong about…
…are almost always the people I was most certain I had figured out.
The intimidating man turns out to be gentle.
The quiet woman becomes the funniest person in the room.
The person I assumed had everything is privately falling apart.
The person I overlooked quietly becomes the most generous.
It’s almost impressive how confidently wrong I can be.
Maybe that’s because we don’t actually see people.
We see fragments.
A truck.
A house.
A tattoo.
A bumper sticker.
A suit.
Then our imagination races in to finish a story we were never qualified to write.
We don’t see people.
We see stories.
Then we mistake the stories for people.
Maybe becoming a better person isn’t about never judging.
Maybe that’s a battle most of us will fight for the rest of our lives.
Maybe the real victory is catching ourselves sooner.
Replacing certainty with curiosity.
Trading assumptions for questions.
Remembering that every stranger is carrying something we cannot see.
A diagnosis or prayer.
A celebration or dream.
Maybe grief.
None of those things can be seen through a windshield.
These days, when I catch myself writing a stranger’s biography before we’ve even made eye contact… I usually smile.
Not because I’m proud of it.
Because I’ve learned that growth isn’t the absence of old habits.
It’s noticing them before they become convictions.
And I’ve learned something else.
God must have a tremendous sense of humor.
Because every time I think I’ve finally graduated from Judgment University…
He hands me another pop quiz.
Usually at a red light and in a Ram truck.
I’ve spent years asking Him to make me a kinder man.
I used to think kindness meant speaking more gently.
Giving more generously. Forgiving more quickly.
I’m beginning to think it starts even earlier than that.
It starts before I ever say a word.
It starts with the stories I choose not to tell myself about people I’ve never met.
Because maybe the stranger beside me never needed a different truck.
Maybe he never needed to change at all.
Maybe… I was the only one in that intersection who did.
And thankfully… the light was still red. ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...