Skip to main content

AT 2:13 IN THE MORNING

 

A year ago, if you said the words spiritual warfare to me, I probably would’ve smiled politely. Nodded. Maybe offered you coffee. Then slowly backed away.

Because spiritual warfare sounded like something involving spinning heads, Latin, and a priest arriving at your house carrying a very large crucifix. I believed in God. Angels seemed lovely. Demons? I preferred they remain in movies where I could turn them off before bed.

But lately, I’ve started wondering if we got spiritual warfare completely wrong.

Maybe evil doesn’t usually announce itself by making the furniture levitate. Maybe sometimes it just waits until 2:13 in the morning. You’re lying there staring at the ceiling, replaying every mistake you’ve made since approximately 1987, and a voice starts whispering: You really screwed things up. People know. You’re never going to fix this.

Nobody’s head spins around. There’s no creepy music. Just you. The ceiling. And shame.

That’s warfare.

Or maybe it happens in your marriage. You’re standing in the kitchen arguing about the dishwasher. The dishwasher. Two grown adults who once stood before God and promised to love each other through sickness and health are now prepared to dissolve the union because someone apparently believes forks migrate naturally from the sink into the silverware drawer.

“This is not about the dishwasher!”

Correct.

It has never been about the dishwasher.

It’s about being tired. Feeling unseen. Keeping score. Wanting to be appreciated. And suddenly the person you love most has become the enemy because apparently Satan has expanded operations into kitchen appliances.

That’s warfare too.

Sometimes it looks like temptation arriving at precisely the moment you’re weakest. Funny how temptation never shows up after eight hours of sleep, a healthy breakfast, prayer, exercise, and a lovely conversation with someone you love.

No. It arrives when you’re exhausted. Lonely. Angry. Ashamed. Usually holding some snacks.

And it doesn’t say, “Hello. I’m here to destroy your life.” That would be helpful.

It says: You deserve this. Just this once. Nobody will know. Tomorrow you can start again.

Evil has excellent marketing.

And maybe the strangest part of spiritual warfare is how ordinary it looks. We expect demons. We get resentment. We expect darkness. We get distraction. We expect some enormous battle between good and evil. Instead, we get a phone in our hand at midnight and the opportunity to spend another hour comparing our actual life to somebody else’s filtered one.

You can’t see any of it. But invisible doesn’t mean imaginary.

You can’t see gravity either, but try stepping off your roof. You can’t see Wi-Fi, yet apparently it has enough power to make an entire family panic when someone says, “Is the internet down?”

We believe in plenty of invisible things because we can see what they do.

Maybe that’s how I’ve started thinking about the spiritual world.

I can’t see pride, but I’ve watched it destroy relationships. I can’t see shame, but I’ve watched it convince good people they are beyond redemption. I can’t see despair, but I know what it sounds like when it whispers: Why bother?

And I can’t see grace either.

But I’ve watched people get back up who had absolutely no business getting back up. I’ve watched forgiveness happen where resentment would’ve made more sense. I’ve watched people choose sobriety one more day. Choose their marriage one more time. Choose hope after life gave them every reasonable excuse not to. Choose God while still being angry with Him.

Maybe that’s spiritual warfare too.

Not some spectacular battle happening above the clouds. Maybe it’s happening inside ordinary people on completely ordinary Tuesdays. In kitchens. Bedrooms. Cars. Hospital rooms. Church pews. Recovery meetings. And at 2:13 in the morning when nobody else knows you’re fighting anything at all.

I used to think spiritual warfare meant believing there was something evil trying to get me. Now I think it’s something much more personal.

It’s deciding which voice gets the final word.

Shame says: You are what you did.

Grace says: Get up.

Fear says: It’s over.

Hope says: Not yet.

Darkness says: You’re alone.

And somewhere beneath all that noise, almost quietly enough to miss, God keeps saying: I’m still here.

Maybe that’s why darkness works so hard to convince us we’ve already lost. Because darkness has one rather embarrassing problem.

It cannot actually defeat light.

It can only convince us to stop looking for it.

And maybe faith isn’t believing the darkness isn’t real. Maybe faith is standing in the middle of it—scared, exhausted, tempted, ashamed—and remembering that darkness has never once been able to extinguish even the smallest light.

Not once.


“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”

—John 1:5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...