Skip to main content

EVER TRY TO QUIT SOMETHING?



Have you ever tried to quit something?

Something you know isn't good for you.

Or, if we're being honest, something you know is very bad for you.

Bad for your body.

Bad for your relationships.

Bad for your soul.

So you quit.

Monday seems popular for this.

Apparently, human beings believe enormous personal transformation is best scheduled immediately following a weekend.

You say...

"I'm done."

"Never again."

"This is it."

And you mean it.

That's the maddening part. You really, really mean it.

Until somehow you find yourself in the same place, around the same time, doing the exact same thing.

Only now it's Tuesday.

And you're disappointed in yourself again.

I've watched people try to quit all kinds of things.

Alcohol. Drugs.

Gambling. Food.

Pornography. Smoking.

Toxic relationships. Scrolling.

That person we absolutely swear we're never texting again. Then somehow, at 11:47 p.m.: Hey!!!

Human beings are fascinating. We will delete the number and then memorize it.


Some of these things are socially unacceptable. Others come with reward points.

But underneath them, I wonder if they're more alike than we think.

Because maybe we're not always addicted to the thingMaybe we're addicted to what the thing does for us.


It quiets something.

Numbs something.

Distracts something.

Fills something.

For five minutes, five hours, or one night, it gives us permission not to feel whatever we don't want to feel.

Until it stops working.

So we quit again. We white-knuckle it.

Download the app. Start the counter.

Buy the book. Make promises.

Pray.


Sometimes we make it hours. Sometimes days.

Weeks. Months. Maybe years.

And then whatever we thought we'd buried comes walking back through the front door like an old friend who somehow still has a key.

That's when you discover something nobody puts on the motivational poster...

Willpower is a wonderful starter.

It's a lousy long-term roommate.

Discipline helps too.

But discipline gets tired.

Especially at 11:47 p.m.

And rock bottom?

I'm not sure there is one. I used to think there was.

One terrible moment when you finally hit the floor and say, Enough.

But human beings are remarkably talented excavators.

We hit bottom...

then discover there's apparently a basement. And sometimes a crawl space beneath that.


I've come to believe quitting something for good requires more than hating what it's doing to your life.

For me, two things matter..

First, eventually you have to do it for yourself.

Not your spouse.

Not your children.

Not your parents.

Not because you're embarrassed.

Not because someone threatened to leave.

Those things might get you started.

Love can drag us toward the door.

Consequences can shove us through it.

But eventually, you have to decide you're worth saving even when nobody is watching.

And second...

I think you need something bigger than yourself.

Call it God.

Faith.

A recovery community.

Something beyond the little voice inside your own head that has already negotiated seventeen exceptions to the promise you made yesterday.

For me, it's God.

Not because faith magically removes temptation. It doesn't.

Not because prayer makes everything easy. It doesn't.

But because eventually I had to admit something both humiliating and incredibly freeing:

I couldn't always trust the guy doing the quitting. He was also the guy doing the using.

So I needed help.

From surrender. From God.

And somewhere along the way, I began to understand that quitting wasn't really the finish line. It was the starting line.

Because eventually you get some distance from the thing that nearly destroyed you.

You start breathing again. Laughing again.

Living more than you're keeping score.

And then something strange happens.

You start wishing you could erase that whole chapter.

The thing you did. The people you hurt. The person you became. The years you lost.

You want the cleaner version of your story.

I know I have.

But we don't get to rewrite the pages already written.

For a long time, I thought that was the tragedy. Now I'm not so sure.

Because maybe scars aren't always souvenirs. Sometimes they're directions.


One day you may find yourself sitting across from somebody who is still trapped in the place you fought like hell to escape.

They'll tell you they've tried everything. That people have given up on them. That they've given up on themselves. That they're too far gone. That there's no way out.

And suddenly...

you'll recognize the room. You've been there. You know how dark it gets.

But you also know something they don't know yet. There's a door.

And that's when the chapter you spent years wishing had never been written might become the chapter somebody else desperately needs to read.

Not because what happened was good.

It wasn't.

Not because God needed you broken.

I don't believe that.

But I've started to believe God doesn't waste much.

Not even this.

Especially not this.

Maybe He doesn't erase our worst chapters. Maybe He finds a way to use them.

So when someone tells you they're hopeless, you don't have to lecture them.

You don't have to fix them.

You don't need perfect words.

Sometimes you just sit beside them.

Because you've sat in that chair before.

And when they finally whisper:

"I don't think there's a way out."

You can tell them: "There is."


And when they ask how you know... you can point toward the chapter you once begged God to erase.

The one you were ashamed of.

The one you thought ruined your story.

And say...

"Because I know the way out.

I came from there."

Maybe that's the strange gift hidden inside recovery.

Sometimes the worst chapter of your story...

becomes the page someone else needs to survive theirs.

And that's why you kept the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...