I needed to write this down right away.
Because if I waited too long, I was afraid even I wouldn’t believe it.
It sounds ridiculous. Too perfect. Like one of those stories somebody tells at church and everyone nods while secretly thinking:
Okay, sure. And then I suppose an angel paid your mortgage.
But it happened.
Every bit of it.
I had just finished another court appearance connected to the night that changed my life. By then, I knew the building too well. I recognized the officers. I knew which benches to sit on and which hallways led where.
A courthouse is not a place where you want to start feeling like a regular.
The courtroom was freezing. The news was difficult. My future remained uncertain.
I sat beside my lawyer wondering how a person’s entire life could become reduced to a case number and a few whispered conversations between people in suits.
No media showed up.
No cameras.
No flashing lights.
Thank God.
But somehow, that made it worse.
Quieter.
More real.
There was no spectacle to hide behind anymore. Just a freezing courtroom, my lawyer, me, and a life I barely recognized.
I had brought a thick stack of letters from people I had served, worked beside, helped, and led over the years. People who knew there was more to me than the night everyone else knew about.
I thought the letters might matter.
Maybe someone would read them and remember that a human life cannot be understood by looking at its worst chapter.
My lawyer glanced at the pile and asked me to email him my CV. He would share everything with the judge.
Then he walked away.
That was it.
My hope didn’t crash.
It drained.
Slowly. Helplessly.
Like water circling a toilet bowl—which, now that I think about it, was a fairly accurate metaphor for the day.
I walked outside into the heavy July sun wearing a dark navy suit and opened Uber.
The ride home was ninety-five dollars.
I didn’t have ninety-five dollars in my wallet.
Or my heart.
Honestly, I don’t think I had ninety-five dollars left in my bones.
So I started walking.
Home.
Thirty-five miles away.
In a navy suit.
In ninety-degree heat.
This seemed reasonable at the time, which tells you everything you need to know about my mental condition.
Within twenty minutes, my shirt had fused to my body and my underwear had officially surrendered.
If despair has a dress code, apparently it is navy wool.
I had no headphones. No music. Just me, my grief, and a set of Rosary beads someone had recently given me.
So I walked.
And prayed.
And walked.
Then came the horseflies.
Not normal horseflies. These things had flight numbers.
They launched out of the Pine Barrens and dive-bombed my face, wrists, and neck.
Apparently Satan has an Air Force.
I swatted and walked.
Cursed and walked.
Apologized for cursing.
Prayed and walked.
Probably cursed during the prayer.
I must have looked clinically insane: a sweaty, middle-aged man wandering along the road in a navy suit, clutching Rosary beads and fighting invisible aircraft.
Basically Falling Down: Catholic Edition.
I didn’t care.
I was long past caring.
Somewhere around mile three, I decided to do something theologians generally advise against.
I tested God.
Why not?
After months of courtrooms, regret, humiliation, lost work, lost freedom, and watching the life I had built come apart one piece at a time, I apparently felt qualified to administer God’s midterm examination.
I don’t remember whether I thought it, whispered it, or yelled it:
If someone stops to help me—just one person—I’ll know You haven’t left me.
I kept walking.
Nothing.
Of course.
Just heat.
Horseflies.
Rosary beads.
And a grown man wondering whether God had blocked his number.
Then, about ten minutes later, a white bus drove past.
I noticed it because I hadn’t seen another vehicle in a while. The last one had been a beat-up, dark-brown 1986 El Camino rattling toward one of the nearby farms.
I stared at it.
I owned that exact car as a teenager.
Same year.
Same make.
Same model.
Same damn color.
Nothing like having your past drive by while you’re trying to survive your present.
Then the white bus slowed.
It pulled onto the shoulder.
And stopped.
It just sat there.
Idling.
Nobody got out.
Nobody got in.
There wasn’t another person anywhere around.
It was just…waiting.
For me?
I still had about a five-minute walk to reach it.
Five minutes.
Three dead horseflies.
One increasingly confused man.
The driver rolled down his window.
“Do you need a ride?”
I laughed.
One of those broken little laughs your body makes when it can’t decide whether to laugh, cry, or completely fall apart.
I wanted to cry.
Maybe I did.
But I was so dehydrated that I’m pretty sure my body had discontinued tears as a nonessential service.
I told him where I lived.
“That’s exactly where I’m headed,” he said.
I stared at him.
There are more than 180 towns on Long Island. Mine wasn’t nearby.
We were miles and miles away.
He didn’t say he could get me closer.
He didn’t check his GPS.
He was already going there.
My town.
I climbed aboard.
“What’s your name?” I asked.
“Eli.”
Of course it was.
Because apparently God had decided subtlety was overrated.
I have only known three Elis in my life.
One was my college tennis partner—steady and loyal.
Another was a gifted social worker I once hired who had an extraordinary ability to help struggling families.
And now this one.
A bus driver who pulled over for a stranger ten minutes after that stranger asked God to send someone.
In Scripture, Eli is the priest who helps Samuel recognize the voice he keeps hearing.
God is speaking. Listen.
That is what Eli does. He helps someone recognize a voice he almost missed.
Then I asked my Eli how he had ended up on that road.
Years earlier, he told me, when he first came to America, a service organization had helped him get on his feet.
I knew the organization.
Of course I did.
It happened to be the same organization where my wife, Erin, worked.
The job she had prayed for.
The job that had taken more than a year to get.
The job helping carry our family through the storm.
I just stared at him.
At that point, even I wanted the story to calm the hell down.
If I submitted it as a screenplay, somebody would send it back with one note:
TOO MUCH. NOBODY WILL BELIEVE THIS.
Maybe you don’t.
That’s okay.
I’m still trying to believe it myself.
But here is what I know:
The bus did not fix my life.
When I stepped off it, the legal process had not disappeared. The losses were still real. The work of recovery, accountability, and rebuilding was still waiting for me.
God did not erase the road.
That matters.
Because I spent much of my life believing hope meant everything would eventually turn out okay.
The door would open.
The prayer would be answered.
The past would disappear.
But recovery teaches you something different.
It teaches you that grace does not always remove the consequences. Sometimes grace simply keeps the consequences from convincing you that your life is over.
I didn’t climb onto that bus because I was brave.
I climbed on because I was broken.
For three miles, I had been begging God to get me out of my life.
Instead, He sent someone into it.
Nothing changed.
And somehow, everything did.
I had walked out of that courthouse convinced I was alone.
A few hours later, I stepped off a white bus knowing I wasn’t.
Maybe that is grace.
Not always a way out.
Sometimes just a way home.
That day, it looked like an empty seat, an idling engine, and a stranger leaning out of a window asking:
“Do you need a ride?”
I had asked God to remove the road.
He didn’t.
He sent a bus.
“I have made you and I will carry you;
I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”
Comments