Skip to main content

HEY STRANGER


Addiction is a terrible friend.

Not the kind who forgets your birthday.

Worse.

It’s the friend who nearly destroys your life, disappears for a while, and then randomly texts you six months later…

Hey stranger.

That’s addiction.

And somehow, despite everything that happened the last time you hung out, part of your brain goes:

I wonder what he wants.

I know.

Insane.

If an actual friend behaved the way addiction does, we would block the number, change the locks, move three towns away, and possibly enter witness protection.

But addiction?

We romanticize it.

And the strangest thing is when it comes calling.

Because sometimes it comes out of nowhere.

You can be doing great.

Working.

Laughing.

Walking the dog.

Standing in Stop & Shop trying to remember whether you need eggs.

And suddenly:

Don’t you miss me?

Excuse me?

I’m comparing yogurt prices.

Come on. You remember.

And unfortunately…

you do.

That’s the scary part.

You remember.

But addiction has an incredible editing department.

It produces the highlight reel.

Never the documentary.

It remembers the laughter.

Not the argument.

The buzz.

Not the blackout.

The first drink.

Not the tenth.

The party.

Not the morning after.

It never says:

Remember waking up with your heart pounding, trying to reconstruct the night from random clues like some hungover detective on Law & Order?

No.

Apparently that episode was removed from syndication.

Instead:

Remember how good it felt?

And if you’ve been in recovery for a while, it gets even more creative.

You’re different now.

That’s a good one.

You learned your lesson.

Even better.

You could probably handle it now.

There it is.

Because addiction rarely comes back wearing the same clothes it wore when it destroyed your life.

It changes outfits.

Now it looks reasonable.

Mature.

Almost responsible.

It doesn’t say:

Want to ruin everything again?

That would be a fairly easy invitation to decline.

It says:

One.

Just one.

I love “just one.”

Two tiny words carrying approximately eight thousand pounds of bullshit.

Because for someone with addiction, “one” can be a fascinating mathematical concept.

One becomes two.

Two becomes four.

Four becomes:

Well, tonight is already shot.

And tomorrow morning you’re staring into the bathroom mirror thinking:

Well.

That escalated quickly.

But addiction knows this.

More importantly, it knows you.

It knows your loneliness.

Your anger.

Your shame.

Your celebrations.

Your exhaustion.

It knows which door you leave unlocked.

And it doesn’t even need something terrible to happen.

Got the job?

We should celebrate.

Lost the job?

You need something to take the edge off.

Marriage struggling?

You deserve a break.

Marriage wonderful?

Let’s toast to it.

Apparently addiction is qualified for both weddings and funerals.

Tremendous availability.

And that’s what makes recovery so strange.

You can spend months or years rebuilding your life.

You start sleeping.

Thinking clearly.

People trust you again.

You begin trusting yourself.

You wake up knowing exactly what happened the night before.

An underrated luxury, by the way.

You make plans.

You keep promises.

You start recognizing the person in the mirror again.

And eventually you think:

I’ve got this.

Which sounds wonderful.

Except sometimes addiction hears:

The coast is clear.

And then one completely ordinary Tuesday:

Hey.

No.

Come on.

No.

Don’t you miss me?

And maybe, for half a second…

you do.

I think people in recovery are sometimes afraid to admit that.

So I’ll admit it.

Sometimes you remember the relief.

The escape.

The moment when everything inside you finally got quiet.

That doesn’t mean you want your old life back.

It means your brain remembers what once made the pain disappear.

But here’s the part addiction conveniently leaves out:

The pain never disappeared.

It waited until morning.

Usually with interest.

Because addiction is a loan shark disguised as relief.

It gives you something tonight.

Then collects tomorrow.

And the interest rate is brutal.

Trust.

Peace.

Relationships.

Self-respect.

Freedom.

Sometimes your life.

So I’ve learned something about that voice.

Don’t negotiate with it.

The moment I start negotiating, we’re already having a conversation.

And addiction loves conversations.

Maybe just one.

No.

Only tonight.

No.

You’ve changed.

Probably.

You’re stronger now.

Hopefully.

Then what’s the problem?

Nice try.

Recovery isn’t proving I can stand next to the fire without getting burned.

Recovery is realizing I don’t have to stand next to the fire anymore.

I can walk away.

And I wish I could tell you that eventually addiction loses your number.

Maybe.

But I don’t count on it.

Addiction is patient.

Thirty days.

A year.

Ten years.

It has nowhere else to be.

And here’s the part that scares me most.

Addiction doesn’t need you to forget everything.

It doesn’t need you to forget the people you hurt.

The things you lost.

The promises you broke.

The mornings you swore would be the last.

It just needs you to forget for five minutes.

Five minutes when you’re lonely.

Five minutes when you’re angry.

Five minutes when you’re celebrating.

Five minutes when you’re convinced you’ve finally beaten it.

That’s all.

Long enough for the phone to ring.

Hey stranger.

Been a while.

You’re doing so well.

You’ve learned your lesson.

You can handle it now.

Don’t you miss me?

And maybe that’s why people in recovery keep showing up long after everyone else thinks they should be “better.”

Not because we’re weak.

Because we finally recognize the number.

Because the most dangerous thing addiction can make you believe isn’t that you need it.

It’s that you’re finally strong enough to have it again.

So when that old friend calls—and someday, it just might—

don’t explain.

Don’t negotiate.

Don’t try to prove how strong you’ve become.

Just remember what it cost you the last time you answered.

And let it ring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...