It has happened.
I’m officially old.
Not according to Medicare. According to birds.
At 5:15 this morning, after walking Rosie while normal people were still unconscious, I sat in my backyard with coffee and an app that identifies birds by their songs.
Yes. I have a bird app.
Apparently this is how it begins.
Within minutes, my backyard was basically JFK.
American Robin.
Blue Jay.
Common Grackle.
Northern Cardinal.
Northern Mockingbird.
House Sparrow.
Red-bellied Woodpecker.
Red-eyed Vireo.
Red-winged Blackbird.
European Starling.
I’m sitting there thinking…
Oh wow. A Red-eyed Vireo.
As if six months ago I knew that was a thing.
Meanwhile, they’re all gathering around a bird feeder that has been hanging around for twenty years. It came with the house.
Twenty.
I threw some seed in it and apparently reopened the neighborhood diner.
I used to see older people sitting quietly in their yards watching birds and think…
That will never be me. I’ll be doing important things. Going important places.
Being busy.
And yet, here I am. Coffee in hand. Rosie nearby.
Absolutely thrilled that a cardinal just landed on my ancient bird feeder.
And maybe that’s the surprise of getting older.
You spend the first half of your life trying desperately to make something happen.
Then, if you’re lucky, you discover something was happening all along.
You were just moving too fast to hear it.
Turns out the birds were always singing.
I’m finally old enough to listen. 
Comments