Two years ago, I was rummaging through the garage looking for something. I have no idea what. That is how garages work. You enter looking for a screwdriver and emerge forty-five minutes later holding a Christmas wreath, one roller skate, and a warranty for a refrigerator you no longer own.
But that night, I found a rosary. Not just any rosary. My First Communion rosary. Cheap white plastic beads tucked inside one of those fake-plastic little pouches they gave Catholic kids back then... the kind that somehow looked old even when it was new. I had received it more than forty-eight years ago. And somehow, through nearly half a century of childhood, adulthood, moves, marriage, children, careers, mistakes, successes, failures, losing faith and trying to find my way back again, I had kept it.
Forty-eight years. I have lost car keys while they were in my hand, but somehow this cheap little Catholic pouch from the 1970s had survived my entire life. I also found a brown scapular I didn’t wear and barely understood. Relics from a life I had never fully lived. Or maybe breadcrumbs. Evidence that some part of me had been searching for God long before I was willing to admit I was lost.
That night, I put the rosary beneath my pillow. I’m not sure why. Maybe I wanted protection. Maybe comfort. Maybe I had finally run out of places to look for peace and figured underneath my head was as good a place as any. Then I whispered the only prayer I could remember. “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee…” And then…nothing. Apparently, decades away from the Church had not sharpened my Marian recall.
So I improvised. “Our Blessed Mother Mary…please help me believe again. Please intercede for me. Please speak to Jesus. Tell Him I surrender.” Then, just to be safe, I told Jesus myself. I wasn’t sure how heaven’s communication system worked. Maybe Mary was busy. Maybe my request would get caught in celestial spam. So I went directly to management. “Jesus, I surrender.” Again. “Jesus, I surrender.” Over and over, like a drowning man holding the only rope he could find.
Eventually, I fell asleep. And for the first time in years, I actually slept. Not the kind where your body lies down while your mind conducts a full criminal investigation into every mistake you’ve made since seventh grade. Real sleep.
When I woke, I remembered the beads. I reached beneath my pillow expecting to feel that familiar flimsy plastic rosary. Instead, my fingers closed around something heavier. Different. I pulled them out. My First Communion rosary was gone. In my hand was a pink rosary with larger beads and delicate images of Mary.
I stared at it. Then beneath the pillow. Then at the rosary. Then beneath the pillow again. Apparently disbelief requires choreography.
The first person I suspected was Erin. “Did you switch the rosary under my pillow?” She looked at me. “What are you talking about?” “The rosary. Did you replace it?” “I didn’t even know it was there.” Erin has been married to me long enough to understand that follow-up questions do not always improve the situation.
I don’t know what happened. I know what I placed beneath my pillow. And I know what I found there the next morning. That’s it. I’m not offering scientific evidence. I’m not submitting paperwork to the Vatican. I’m simply telling you what happened.
And something opened inside me that morning. Not certainty. Not proof. Faith rarely arrives carrying laboratory results and two forms of identification. Just a spark. A tiny flicker of hope in a place I thought had gone dark forever.
From that day forward, those pink beads went everywhere with me. In my pocket during the day. Beneath my pillow at night. Every single day.
A year later, I was in New York City. Before Mass, I sat on a bench watching pigeons for a while, because apparently this is what middle-aged spiritual men do when they’re trying to get their lives together. Then I walked to St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
I sat down and reached into my pocket. The rosary was gone. My heart stopped. I checked every pocket twice, as though it might have migrated from my jacket to my pants out of spite. Nothing. I ran back through Manhattan toward the bench. Thirty minutes had passed. This was New York City. People will take an unattended parking space before your turn signal finishes blinking. A rosary lying on the sidewalk didn’t stand a chance.
But when I reached the bench, there it was. On the ground. Untouched. I picked it up and held it tightly all the way back to the cathedral.
Those beads stayed with me. Through fear. Through courtrooms. Through shame. Through mornings when I believed completely and nights when I wasn’t sure I believed anything. In my pocket. Under my pillow. One day at a time.
Until three months ago.
One night, as I had done countless times before, I put the pink rosary beneath my pillow. The next morning, it was gone. I searched beneath the bed, inside the pillowcase, behind the nightstand, between the mattress and the wall. I searched places a rosary could not possibly be unless it had developed legs, enrolled in witness protection, and started a new life in another parish.
Nothing.
It had disappeared. Again. Except this time, it didn’t come back. Days became weeks. Weeks became months. I was devastated. Somewhere along the way, those beads had become more than beads. They reminded me of the night I surrendered. The night I asked Mary to help me believe again. The night I finally admitted I couldn’t fix everything myself.
For three months, I wondered where they went.
Yesterday, I sat down and rewrote this story. I wrote about my old First Communion rosary. I wrote about the pink beads. I wrote about losing them in New York and finding them again. And I wrote about losing them beneath my pillow three months ago.
I even convinced myself I had found the ending.
Then this morning happened.
I threw a load of towels into the dryer. A few minutes later, I heard something banging around inside. Clang. Clang. Clang. I figured it was change. A button. Maybe one of the fourteen thousand objects my family apparently believes should remain in pockets before entering the laundry.
I opened the dryer.
And there it was.
The old plastic pouch.
My First Communion pouch.
The one from forty-eight years ago. The one that had somehow survived my entire life. Sitting inside my dryer. Warm.
At this point, apparently, even my laundry was becoming Catholic.
I picked it up. For a moment, I just held it. Then I opened it.
Inside were the pink beads.
The rosary I had carried every day. The rosary that had disappeared from beneath my pillow three months earlier. The rosary I had written about yesterday.
Broken.
The chain had come apart. Beads and pieces were scattered inside that little pouch from my childhood.
I stood there staring at it.
And I laughed.
Then I cried.
Because sometimes God whispers. And sometimes apparently He uses the permanent-press cycle.
I have absolutely no idea how that rosary ended up in the dryer. None. Maybe there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation. Maybe one day I’ll figure it out. Maybe I won’t.
I’m becoming increasingly comfortable with three words I spent most of my life desperately trying to avoid: I don’t know.
I don’t know what happened beneath my pillow two years ago. I don’t know where those beads were for three months. I don’t know how they ended up inside a forty-eight-year-old pouch in my dryer. And I certainly don’t know why they returned the morning after I rewrote their story.
But I know what I’m going to do next.
I’m going to put them back together.
For most of my life, I thought broken things were ruined things. If something broke, you replaced it. If a plan broke, you made another one. If life broke, you worked harder.
And if you broke? You hid it. You fixed it before anyone noticed. You smiled. You went to work. You told everyone you were fine. Whatever you did, you didn’t let anyone see the pieces.
I got pretty good at that.
Until I wasn’t.
Faith has been teaching me something different. God seems remarkably uninterested in throwing broken things away.
Thank God.
Because I have given Him plenty of reasons.
Maybe grace isn’t God handing us back the untouched life we had before everything fell apart. Maybe grace is God sitting beside us in the wreckage and saying, Okay. Let’s see what we can put back together.
Not erase. Not pretend it never happened. Rebuild.
There is a difference.
For two years, I carried that rosary while God was putting me back together. And this morning, it came back broken.
Now I get to return the favor.
I won’t repair it because I think I can make it exactly what it was. I know better than that now. Some things don’t go back to exactly what they were.
Neither do people.
I’m going to repair it because broken things can still be sacred. The repaired places don’t have to be hidden. Maybe they’re part of what makes the story worth telling.
So sometime today, I’m going to sit at the table. I’ll spread those pink beads in front of me. I’ll probably need reading glasses, pliers, patience, and language not ordinarily associated with the Blessed Mother.
And I’ll begin.
A broken man. A broken rosary. Neither one finished.
One bead at a time. One prayer at a time. One day at a time. ❤️
Comments