There comes a strange point in life when you realize you’re having an argument with someone who isn’t even in the room. I am excellent at this… undefeated, actually.
In imaginary arguments, I am calm, articulate, and devastatingly reasonable. I make brilliant points. The other person pauses, reflects, and realizes I am right. Sometimes there is applause.
Actual arguments are different. I forget important words and remember the perfect comeback four hours later while brushing my teeth.
Human beings are fascinating. We can carry an argument for years. Feed it, water it, take it on vacation, give it its own bedroom in our head. Then one day, something changes. We don’t want to win anymore; we just want peace.
Maybe we realize we were wrong about some things… not everything, let’s not get crazy, but some things.
Maybe we said things we shouldn’t have said, letting pride do the talking when love probably should’ve had the microphone.
So we decide to apologize. This feels suspiciously mature. We imagine: “I’m sorry.” “I’m sorry too.” Tears, hugging, background music, possibly a golden retriever wandering through because apparently we’re now in a Hallmark movie.
And then… nothing. They’re not ready. Not interested. Maybe they never will be.
That’s the part nobody teaches us about apologies: what happens when someone doesn’t want yours? Because an apology is an invitation; it is not a subpoena. You cannot force someone to forgive you, and you definitely cannot drag them toward reconciliation. Apparently that’s kidnapping.
So you own your part, without a "but." An “I’m sorry, but…” is really just an apology wearing a fake mustache. You say: I was wrong. I wish I’d done things differently. I’m sorry I hurt you. The door is open.
And then comes the hardest part. You live.
I used to think reconciliation meant two people finding their way back to each other.
Sometimes it does, and I hope it does. But maybe sometimes reconciliation happens inside us: when we stop rehearsing the argument, when we stop needing someone else to understand our side, when we realize peace doesn’t require a unanimous vote.
Maybe forgiveness isn’t always a reunion. Sometimes it’s leaving the porch light on…and going inside. Not because you’ve stopped loving them or stopped hoping, but because an open door was never supposed to become a place to live.
Leave the porch light on.
Then go live.
Comments