Skip to main content

The Empty Chair




I was walking through my town the other day. The town where I live now... the town where I grew up. I've lived in different parts of it, left it a few times, and spent a fair amount of time telling myself I was eventually going to get out for good.

I'm still here. Apparently, I'm either loyal or terrible at following through.

I was listening to one of those wonderfully cheesy 80s radio station... the kind that makes you remember songs you forgot you knew... when "Always Something There to Remind Me" came on. I've always liked that song. Mostly because it sounds exactly like an 80s song should sound: slightly dramatic, slightly melancholy, like somebody in a Members Only jacket is about to walk in.

I was walking past an old restaurant when it happened. I'd been there years ago, for a party. My kids were little. Really little. I looked through the window and saw a chair.

Just a chair. But I knew that chair.

I remembered sitting in it that night. So I stopped, right there on the sidewalk, staring through the window at a restaurant chair like it had called me by my first name. Someone inside probably wondered if I was waiting for a table or planning a burglary. I was doing neither. I was remembering.

What surprised me was how many chairs I remember. Not the chairs themselves... where I sat, who sat beside me, who was across the table. The birthday parties. The Christmas dinners. The restaurants. The kitchen tables.

We sit in chairs every day without a second thought. We get up, go home, forget about them. Until years later, we see one again, and somehow the whole room comes back. The faces. The voices. The life.

That chair reminded me how many people have occupied the chairs in mine. Some I remember exactly where they sat. Some I can still hear laughing. Some I wish were still there. Others, if I'm honest, I'm grateful to see empty.

Sometimes I'm the reason the chair is empty.

There's one in particular. I won't tell you the whole story... some things aren't mine alone to tell, but I'll say this much... I emptied that chair myself, on purpose, and I still don't know, all these years later, if it was the right call. I've made peace with it. Most days. But peace isn't the same as certainty, and I've stopped waiting for the second one to show up.

For a while I called that indifference. Told myself not caring was a kind of strength. Maybe I just needed to believe that. The world is hard sometimes.

People leave. People change. People die. Sometimes you don't get the conversation you thought you would. Some things get repaired. Some don't. Not every story gets a neat ending, and I'm finally getting a little more comfortable with that. An empty chair doesn't always need to be filled. Sometimes you just notice it. You remember who used to sit there. You let yourself miss them. Or, sometimes, you don't.

Then you look around the table. Erin and my kids are there. A few people I trust are there too. And somehow, the empty chairs don't seem quite as loud.

I looked through the glass a moment longer. The restaurant was still there. The chair was still there. But the night I remembered was gone.

So I kept walking. And for a long time, I thought moving on meant forgetting the empty chairs. Maybe it just means learning to sit at the table anyway.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...