Skip to main content

WHAT IT'S LIKE



There was a time when I thought I was pretty good at reading people.

I could size someone up in about twelve seconds.


Guy outside the 7-Eleven asking for money?

Probably drugs.


Woman screaming at her kids in Target?

Bad mother.


Man who lost his job?

Must have done something.


Marriage falling apart?

There were signs.


Guy drinking at ten in the morning?

Come on, man. Get yourself together.


I had explanations for everybody.

It is amazing how clearly you can see someone else’s life from the comfortable side of the glass.


But do you know what it is like to wake up inside their life?

Do you know what they carried before you saw them?

Do you know how far they had already walked before they crossed your path?

Most of the time, we don’t.

Then life introduced me to a little humility.

Actually, life did not introduce us.

Life kicked the door open, dragged humility into the room, and said, “You two need to spend some time together.”


And suddenly I started meeting people differently.


The guy with the trembling hands wasn’t “a drunk.”

He was somebody’s father trying desperately to make it until bedtime.


The woman crying in the parking lot wasn’t unstable.

She had just gotten a phone call that divided her life into before and after.


The man sitting in court wasn’t his worst decision.

The kid in treatment wasn’t a junkie.

The guy with no job wasn’t lazy.

The person who stopped returning calls wasn’t necessarily rude.


Sometimes people disappear because surviving takes up all the available space.

I know that now.

Because eventually I became a few things I once thought happened to other people.

I became the person explaining.

The person apologizing.

The person people whispered about.

The person who needed another chance.

And another.


I learned that there is a remarkable difference between knowing what someone should do and trying to do it while standing inside their life.

We love clean answers....

Leave him. Leave her.

Stop drinking.

Get a job.

Call your kids.

Forgive your father. Forgive your mother.

Go to treatment.

Get over it.

Move on.


We hand out instructions for lives we have never had to live.

But human beings are rarely that tidy.

There is usually a childhood behind the anger.

A loss behind the drinking.

Fear behind the arrogance.

Shame behind the silence.

A story behind the story.


So before we decide we know what someone should do, maybe we ask ourselves:

Do I know what it is like to wake up inside their life?

Do I know what they have lost?

Do I know what they are afraid of?

Do I know how many times they already tried?


Most of the time, we don’t.

This does not mean every choice is okay.

It does not mean people should not be accountable.


Sometimes love means telling someone the truth they absolutely do not want to hear.

But accountability without compassion is just judgment wearing a nicer shirt.

These days, when I see someone unraveling, I try not to finish their story for them.


I don’t always succeed.

I still judge.

I still get impatient.

I still catch myself deciding what somebody’s problem is before I know their name.

But I catch myself more often.


Because I know something now that I did not know before.

There are lives you cannot understand from across the street.

There are mistakes that look very different from the inside.

There are people carrying things so heavy you would be amazed they managed to put on pants that morning.


And sometimes the person you are certain needs to “get their act together” is using every ounce of strength they have simply to remain here.

Maybe that is what grace has been trying to teach me all along.


And maybe that is why Jesus spent so much time with people everyone else had already figured out.

The addict.

The adulterer.

The criminal.

The outcast.

The person with the reputation.


He kept moving closer.

Maybe grace begins there.

Not by pretending choices do not matter.

But by remembering that people do.

So when you see somebody whose life makes absolutely no sense to you, resist the urge to explain them.


Maybe ask yourself one more time:

Do I know what it is like to wake up inside their life?

Do I know where they have been?

Do I know how heavy their shoes are?


Most of the time, we don’t.

And if life has taught me anything, it is this:

Be careful judging the shoes someone else is wearing.

Life has a way of handing us a pair we swore would never fit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wooden Tulips

  Wooden Tulips T he first time I was ever really afraid- the kind of afraid that makes your body cold from the inside out- was the night Sadie was born. She was supposed to come on Valentine’s Day. Of course she didn’t. Sadie and Erin are both stubborn, so naturally she showed up early. I remember kissing Erin’s forehead, paper hearts taped to the hospital window, me rehearsing the one job I’d been assigned: cut the cord. I was ready to nail it. Dad of the Year. Opening scene. Cue applause. And then- she was here. Tiny cries, a flurry of nurses, scissors in my hand, cord cut, done. Erin was drifting in and out from the C-section meds, crying, laughing, floating. I was waiting to hold our baby. Our brand-new everything. And then a nurse leaned in. Whispered. “I’m sorry. I think your baby has Down Syndrome.” That was the first thing anyone said about my daughter. Not “She’s beautiful.” Not “Congratulations.” Just: I’m sorry. I didn’t even know what that meant yet. How could she k...

The Jacket

E very man has one item of clothing his wife has begged him to throw out for years. Mine was a light-blue jean jacket with a fake white cotton collar. Erin hated that jacket with the kind of passion most people save for politics or pineapple on pizza. I’d had it for years. Presidents had come and gone. My career had risen, collapsed, and tried to rise again. Our kids had grown taller than Erin — which isn’t saying much, but still. And through it all, that jacket kept hanging by the door like a stubborn dog that refused to die. It was hideous. I can admit that now. The collar looked like dirty clouds glued on by a kindergartner’s craft project gone wrong. The denim was the exact shade of regret you get when you bleach jeans one cycle too many. And still - I wore it everywhere. School events. Grocery runs. Parent-teacher conferences. Probably even funerals. It wasn’t clothing. It was my emotional support jacket. Erin tried everything: gentle hints, sarcastic digs, quiet donation runs tha...

The Spirit of Division (and Why We’re All Being Played)

  W e hear stories all the time about the supernatural—miraculous healings, near-death experiences, strange whispers in the night that make even skeptics pause. But how do we know what’s real? That’s what investigative journalist (and former atheist) Lee Strobel asks in his new book Seeing the Supernatural . He dives into evidence of the unseen world and invites us to consider something both ancient and terrifyingly current: What if God really does still rule over the spiritual realm—angels, demons, all of it? And maybe that’s where we need to start. Because the real battle today? It’s not just political, cultural, or ideological. It’s spiritual. We like to think politics is about ideas—policy, vision, leadership. But underneath the hashtags and press conferences, something darker is happening. Something feeding on us. Every election cycle, every argument at the dinner table, every “unfriend” click on Facebook— it all fuels a spirit that thrives on outrage. That sp...